What does unaccompanied demonstration insurance cover?
Unaccompanied demonstration insurance provides road risks cover for:
- Use of a vehicle for the purposes of an unattended test drive
- Injury to the driver or third parties and their property following an incident or accident
- Theft of the vehicle (where third-party fire and theft or comprehensive road risks cover is in place)
How do I reduce the risk with unattended test drives?
Before handing over the keys, make sure you:
- Ensure you follow HSE guidelines. Wipe down all surfaces in the vehicle, including switchgear, gear levers, the handbrake, dashboard, steering wheel, pedals, door handles, ignition, locks etc. Do this before the vehicle goes out for test drive, and when it returns.
- Carry out DVLA checks on driving licences.
- Ensure as much relevant information is known about the individual as possible, including credit checks where necessary, to verify their identity.
- Ensure all paperwork is signed off electronically.
- Make certain you have unaccompanied demonstration insurance in place.
- Fit the trade plates to the vehicle so you’re insured.
Why do I need unaccompanied demonstration cover?
Following the coronavirus outbreak, accompanied demonstration cover is no longer effective. Yet test drives remain crucial for dealers to pick up sales, allowing customers to ‘drive before they buy’.
The DVLA has responded by allowing unaccompanied test drives with trade plates fitted on a vehicle. As a result, insurers have introduced unaccompanied demonstration cover.
This extension to your motor trade insurance policy provides cover should the unaccompanied driver be involved in an accident, or the vehicle is stolen (subject to a minimum level of third party fire and theft cover).
How do I get unaccompanied demonstration cover?
As an existing customer, we can add this cover as an extension to your policy. New customers can request a quote as part of their motor trade insurance quote.
Call us to discuss your requirements, and we will provide an individual quote based on your circumstances.
We’ll offer advice on any covers you need, and can even put you in touch with risk management experts if you need them, to help comply with HSE guidelines.
Speak to an expert, call 01625 885046 01625 885046