What is taxi fleet insurance?
A taxi fleet policy provides insurance cover for three or more vehicles used as public hire or private taxis. This can minimise insurance costs and administrative hassle by allowing you to insure all your vehicles and drivers together on a single policy.
Get a Quote
What does taxi fleet insurance cover?
Insurance policies for taxi fleets cover 3 or more vehicles used for taxi purposes. There is no limit to the number of vehicles you can add to a taxi fleet policy.
Taxi fleet policies are designed to be easier to manage – instead of individual policies for each taxi, you can add or remove cars and drivers on just one fleet policy.
Choose from three levels of cover for your taxi fleet
At ChoiceQuote, we know that the insurance needs of taxi operators can vary, so we make it easy to choose the level of cover that matches your requirements. Three types of insurance are available, just as with standard motor insurance.
- Third-party only
- You are required by law to have third-party cover as a minimum. It covers all third-party liabilities should an accident occur. However, it does not cover damage to your vehicle when an accident is your fault.
- Third-party, fire and theft
- You might consider adding fire and theft cover to the third-party package, given how vulnerable a busy taxi can be.
- The highest level of taxi fleet cover is the one most ChoiceQuote customers select*. As well as all the protection detailed above, it allows claims for accidental damage to an insured vehicle.*Between 1st Jan – 31st Jan 2023 of 1356 customers quoted 96% chose to be priced for a comprehensive policy.
What additional cover is available with taxi fleet insurance?
With ChoiceQuote’s comprehensive policy, it’s easy to add all this extra protection within a single premium:
- Taxi office insurance. Protection for your taxi base or office premises.
- Business interruption insurance. Covering your taxi business against lost income if it has to close temporarily due to fire or flood.
- Legal expenses. Claim back the expenses if you require legal representation.
- Breakdown cover. Minimising loss of income if a taxi breaks down.
- Directors’ and officers’ insurance. In case you’re sued personally for alleged wrongdoing in your business.
- Glass and windscreen damage to vehicles. A £50 excess for repairs or £100 excess for replacements applies with the approved repairer.
- Medical expenses. Up to £500 in respect of each person injured as a direct result of an accident in one of your taxis.
- Replacement vehicle. Courtesy cars are available for up to 14 days on a social, domestic and pleasure basis, only while your private car is being repaired following damage to your vehicle.
- Accident recovery. Protection and removal of your vehicle to the nearest repairers in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man following an accident.
- Personal belongings. Up to £250 cover for loss or damage to personal belongings by fire, theft or accident.
- Employers’ liability insurance. If you have employees, employers’ liability cover is a legal requirement. It protects your business against claims of alleged injury made by employees.
- Public liability insurance. Cover against claims from members of the public. This is not a legal requirement, but it is recommended to protect your taxi business.
- Driver assault cover. Our policies can also provide cover in the event of an unprovoked attack on a driver.
These are brief product descriptions only. Please refer to the policy documentation paying particular attention to the terms and conditions, exclusions, warranties, subjectivities, excesses and any endorsements.
Which types of vehicles can taxi fleet insurance cover?
With our experience of working with taxi firms, we know you may operate a fleet including a mixture of vehicles. No problem, one ChoiceQuote policy can cover:
- Private hire vehicles
- Public hire vehicles
- Saloons and hatchbacks
- Estate cars
- Black cab and hackney carriages
- MPVs with seats for up to 16 passenger
- Coaches and minibuses
- Electric vehicles and hybrids
- Self-drive hire vehicles
Location may not be a problem either. We can provide cover across most UK taxi licensing authorities.
How much does taxi fleet insurance cost?
Taxi fleet costs vary considerably depending on several factors, including:
- The number of vehicles in your fleet
- The types of vehicles in your fleet
- The value of the vehicles in your fleet
- Your location
- The drivers you want to cover
- Your claims history
- Where you operate from
How to reduce the premium on taxi fleet insurance
Naturally, employing careful, experienced drivers with a good no-claims record and having a well-maintained fleet can lead to lower premiums. Installing CCTV, speed limiters and telematics software in vehicles can also help you to lower insurance costs.
Who can we cover under a taxi fleet policy?
At ChoiceQuote, we will consider drivers aged between 23-75 for inclusion in your taxi fleet policy. We’ll also consider drivers with claims or convictions.
We know recruiting drivers isn’t always easy, so it’s good to know we can cover returning drivers who were taxi badge holders within the last two years. We can also cover younger or inexperienced drivers as part of a fleet of drivers. Cover costs may increase as a result, but we’re always as flexible as possible.
Why is taxi fleet insurance important?
Taxis do high mileage and often operate round the clock, so they are more at risk than other vehicles. Insurance policies for taxi fleets cover three or more vehicles used for taxi purposes. There is no upper limit to the number of taxis covered.
What’s the advantage of having one taxi fleet policy, compared to insuring each vehicle separately? You can secure the same level of protection at a lower cost—and insure any number of vehicles and drivers.
You also avoid the hassle of multiple renewal dates and premium payments. There’s no need to take out a new policy every time you add a cab to the fleet, or cancel policies every time a vehicle is taken out of service.
Why choose ChoiceQuote for taxi fleet insurance?
Most taxi insurance companies provide public liability cover for passengers inside a taxi, but ChoiceQuote cover extends to more. We also cover claims made by passengers who are outside your vehicle when there’s a pick-up or drop-off. This additional (non-motor) cover for up to £5 million per claim could be crucial for those who undertake contract work—with local authorities, for example.
There are lots more reasons to come to ChoiceQuote first. For one, we are a leading provider of insurance policies for taxi firms, with over 25 years’ experience. We’ll work with some of the leading insurers to find a suitable policy to meet your needs.
Need to spread the cost of your policy? When running through your quote please specify and we’ll take you through our instalment plans available. Request a quote now and you can be insured in minutes.
How can I get a quote?
Ready for a personalised taxi fleet insurance quote for your business? Simply call us on 0800 440 2177 to speak to the specialist ChoiceQuote team. You can also request a quote online, using the link below.
Alternatively, simply scan in your vehicle list and confirmed claims experience, sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details. We’ll call you back to discuss your requirements.
*Policy limits and exclusions may apply, please see the policy wording for full terms and conditions.