Bank Holiday Opening Hours

Motor Trade Road Risks, Courier Insurance, Commercial Vehicle:

Our best prices available over the phone

What is body shop insurance?

Body shops carry out specialist paint spraying, detailing and repair work on vehicles. This means that they often use special tools, equipment, and machinery as part of the job.

Whether you are a SMART repairer working on vehicles at people’s homes, or you run a body shop working from business premises, you need the right body repair insurance to do the job.

Our insurance for body shops covers welding, panel beating, body part replacement, and more. We also cover paint spraying, dent or scratch removal, and other related work.

Get in touch for your personalised body shop quote

What does body repair insurance cover?

Body shop insurance can cover:

  • Driving customer vehicles (with a road risks insurance policy)
  • Business premises (with a traders’ combined policy)
  • Vehicle paint spraying booths and paint ovens
  • Specialist tools and equipment
  • Public liability and employers’ liability
  • Engineering inspection (a separate policy for the professional inspection of equipment, to ensure compliance with legislation)
  • Portable hand tools
  • Service indemnity (defective workmanship)
  • Directors’ and officers’ insurance
  • Business interruption

It’s essential to have the right cover in place. The risk of a claim following a faulty repair or misaligned body part, for example, is enough to lead to high legal and payout costs. That’s why insurance is vital to body shops like yours.

These are just some of the covers available. We can tailor your policy to ensure you get the auto body insurance you need.

We can also cover other motor trade activities, such as service and repair work or vehicle sales, with our range of motor trade insurance policies. Speak to us for a competitive quote from our range of body shop insurers.

Who needs body shop insurance?

Body shop insurance offers protection for anybody working in crash repair, vehicle restoration, replacing vehicle body parts, or otherwise working on the bodywork of vehicles.

If you have a specialist vehicle to carry out mobile bodywork repairs (such as dent removal or other SMART repairs), this can also be covered by your body shop insurance.

Expensive equipment used to perform vehicle body repair will need insurance, too. The risk of losing such equipment, and the impact it will have on your business, is enough to see why this cover is valuable.

Because of the nature of your work, liability insurance is also essential. If you employ staff, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement. Public liability is also strongly recommended to cover claims of alleged injury from members of the public. Additionally, service indemnity cover protects you for claims following the fitment of faulty parts, or incorrectly fitted parts, leading to an accident.

Auto body shop insurance can cover workers from the age of 21 upwards, though you usually need be at least 23 years old to be added to a road risks policy. We recommend that younger people wanting to start in the trade work in a body shop for an employer first, to gain experience.

How much does auto repair insurance cost?

The cost of cover for body shop and repair insurance varies depending on factors such as:

  • Where you are located
  • The number of vehicles you work on
  • The type and value of vehicles you work on
  • Your level of driving experience (for road risk policies)
  • Your experience in vehicle body repair or restoration
  • Your claims history
  • The type of equipment you use for your job
  • The value of portable hand tools
  • The value of any business premises

No two body shops or body repairers are the same. So, while our road risks policies start from a very reasonable £8.73* a week, we will work with you to build the additional covers you need at a competitive price.

Benefits of body shop insurance

  • Cover available for specialist equipment including spray guns and booths, lifting tables, compressors, sanders etc.
  • Road risks insurance on a third party, third party fire and theft, or comprehensive basis
  • No claims discount can be transferred or mirrored from a private motor policy
  • Cover for multiple drivers and vehicles
  • All types of vehicle and bodywork considered, including modifications
  • Liability insurances and traders combined insurances available
  • Repayment options available
  • 24/7 claims service, working in your interests to resolve claims quickly and efficiently

Still confused? Read our comprehensive guide to Motor Trade Insurance

Frequently asked questions

  1. Can I get cover today?

    Yes, if you need insurance today, you can buy immediate cover. You can make a payment by credit or debit card or if you choose to pay by Direct Debit, you can pay an initial deposit and then pay the remaining amount over monthly instalments.
  2. Can I pay for my policy monthly?

    Yes - we offer finance options across a range of motor trade, courier and taxi insurance products, subject to status. Ask us for repayment options and details when you get a quote.
  3. Can I transfer my no-claims discount?

    If you have a proven claim-free record on a previous motor trade insurance policy, you may qualify for a no-claims discount of up to 60%. You can either transfer your existing no-claims bonus or opt for a mirrored discount - even if your previous driving history was on an employer's motor trade policy and not in your name. And if you haven’t worked in the trade before, you can opt to transfer or mirror the no-claims discount from your private car/vehicle policy. Speak to us for details on how we can save you money. 
  4. Do I need public liability insurance?

    We recommend taking out public liability insurance, especially if you are a motor trader, taxi driver or courier. It protects you in the event of accidents and incidents involving the general public - and the claims for damages and legal costs that can follow.
  5. How do I know I’ve got the best deal for my needs?

    Speak to our team of advisers! We will guide you through the right cover for your individual needs. Don't be fooled that buying the cheapest policy means it's the best policy - if you find yourself without cover, or unable to make a claim for the full amount following an accident, you will regret it!
  6. What if I work part-time in the motor trade?

    Part-time motor traders still need appropriate insurance cover. We can help you to find the right motor trade policy, whether you're full-time, part-time, still in training, work from home or on a mobile basis.
  7. What if I’ve been refused cover elsewhere?

    Being refused insurance cover generally makes it difficult to get cover, or it makes it more expensive. We are a broker, so have access to wider markets than approaching an insurer directly. Please let us know the reason why your policy was refused, voided or cancelled so we can consider your individual circumstances.