You don’t have to look far to find an Uber. The private hire app makes it easier than ever to catch a ride almost anywhere. And for those looking for a new career path, it’s an attractive opportunity. But if you’re considering making the switch to become an Uber driver, there are a few things to consider first, one of which is insurance. Standard car insurance policies won’t cover you as an Uber driver. So, you’ll need to consider taking out taxi insurance for protection while you’re driving customers to their destinations. Here’s what you need to know.
What insurance do Uber drivers need?
In the UK, Uber insurance rules are slightly different. While Uber US provides standard insurance for their drivers, UK drivers need additional cover while transporting passengers. Since you operate as an independent contractor, you’re responsible for sourcing the insurance you need.
Ubers are taxis operating on a private hire basis. It means you can only service pre-bookings, rather than picking up people in the street like a London black cab might. As such, you’ll need private hire taxi insurance to drive passengers. One important thing you should be aware of is that if you plan to operate your private hire in London that Uber require your insurance to be covered by one of their select list of approved insurers. The good news is that Choicequote’s insurer panel includes one of those insurers that may be able to provide the cover you need.
If you use the vehicle for personal use, you’ll also need to ensure your insurance covers that.
What does Uber insurance cover?
As with most vehicle insurance policies, you can choose between different levels of Uber taxi insurance, including:
- Third-party only
- The most basic level of insurance needed to drive legally. It covers you in the event of a third-party accident, but only for damage to their vehicle and their property.
- Third-party fire and theft
- Covers you against damage to third-party vehicles, including fire and theft of your Uber vehicle.
- The top level of cover that can cover many damage claims, including accidents, injuries, fire, theft, and even loss of keys. This covers you and your vehicle as well as other people and their property. Fully comprehensive policies also insure you against medical claims and legal fees if you’re found to be at fault.
Policy limits and exclusions may apply, please see the policy wording for full terms and conditions
Does Uber insurance include public liability cover?
Most Uber insurance policies offer public liability cover as standard. Or, you may be able to add this as an optional extra.
Either way, it’s a good idea to consider public liability cover. Although it’s not a legal requirement, it provides extra protection against potentially costly liability claims from passengers. For example, if a customer were injured while using your Uber service and made an injury claim against you, public liability insurance could cover associated fees, including legal expenses.
Will I be covered to drive my Uber car privately?
Uber insurance policies are intended to cover you for private hire purposes, which means you’re insured to carry passengers. However, we know that often customers want to use their car for personal use (also known as social, domestic and pleasure use) and we’re pleased to let you know that this is covered as standard by our Uber taxi policies.
Who can get Uber insurance?
To become an Uber driver, you must meet their specific requirements. Uber is fairly strict on driver ages, licence disqualifications, and policy documentation. You must satisfy the following criteria:
- Aged 21 and over
- Have a right to live and work in the UK
- Hold a full UK driving licence
- Hold a full DBS check
- Have a medical evaluation certifying you’re fit to drive
- Hold a certificate verifying you’ve passed a local map test
- Have private-hire insurance in place
- Hold a private-hire licence in a council authorised by Uber
- Not have received driving offences such as drink or drug driving, driver disqualifications, or accident offences
You’ll also need to upload additional documentation when applying, including your bank statement and licence photo. In addition, you must have driven for a set number of years in certain cities, so you’ll need to show evidence of this.
How much is Uber insurance?
All Uber drivers’ requirements are different, so insurance costs vary. Factors affecting your premium include the following:
- Whether you opt for third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive cover.
- Where you live and where you’ll be driving your Uber.
- Where you leave your Uber parked overnight.
- The type of vehicle you use.
- Your age and driving experience.
- Your claims history.
- Whether you have any motoring convictions.
- Your no-claims bonus discount.
At ChoiceQuote, we offer policies from basic third-party up to comprehensive cover. Our private-hire insurance can be flexible to meet your needs and we’ll search our panel, which includes some of the leading insurers to find you a policy suitable for your requirements.
How can I save money on Uber insurance?
Sometimes, you can reduce your Uber insurance by looking at how you pay your policy and installing extra security. Here are some factors to consider.
Many insurance policies are cheaper if you pay upfront on an annual basis than monthly.
Consider installing extra security on your Uber vehicle, such as dash cams and security locks. Also, think about where you park your vehicle at night. If it’s in a secure location, such as a locked garage, many providers may lower your fee.
Many insurance providers can reduce the cost of insurance if you install telematic systems on your vehicle, such as speed boxes.
Where does Uber operate?
Uber operates in most major UK cities, including:
- High Wycombe
- Milton Keynes
- St Albans
Other taxi app insurance policy cover available
ChoiceQuote also provides insurance for many other taxi apps, including:
- Radio Taxi
Can I get short-term Uber insurance?
If you’re looking for a level of cover that’s more for the short-term we have policies available. We understand that an annual policy or even a 6-month insurance length is not for everyone and that you may not be running your private-hire service all year round. We have tried to make our policies adaptable to your needs. Our insurer panel can offer a policy length of 30 days, 3 months, 6 months and for the full year.
Benefits of Uber insurance
- Satisfies the insurance requirements of Uber
- Cover for vehicles of various sizes: from saloons to MPVs with multiple seats
- Third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive Uber taxi cover
- Public liability insurance
- Younger and inexperienced drivers considered (23+)
- Drivers up to the age of 75 considered
- Claims and convictions considered
Why choose ChoiceQuote Uber insurance?
ChoiceQuote has helped thousands of customers find cover for various types of insurance for over 25 years. We understand the many risks you face as an Uber driver, with or without passengers in tow. That’s why our specialists are on-hand to run you through the covers available so that you select a policy that has you suitably insured. We aim to keep providing the level of service that has seen Choicequote rated as “excellent” on Trustpilot by our customers*. Give us a call and find out for yourself.
We aim to provide cover for anyone who drives a private hire, including:
- UberX – Up to 4 passengers
- UberXL – Up to 6 passengers
- UberEXEC – Luxury cars with up to 4 passengers
- UberLUX – Luxury cars such as Audi A8
If you’re ready to become an Uber chauffeur, first ensure you have suitable insurance. Speak with a member of our team today to get a quick quote by calling 01625 885046.
"Fair prices, Brilliant customer service, I’ve used ChoiceQuote for 6 years now!"
ChoiceQuote customer, Feefo
our average rating on review site Feefo
Check out our reviews online at Feefo.Read all reviews
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I insure my taxi for personal use?If you’re a registered taxi driver, you can still use your vehicle for personal use. Rules can differ depending on your local council, so make sure you check in advance.
What types of vehicles will your taxi insurance cover?Our insurance covers a wide range of vehicles from saloons to executive cars.
Can I get cover today?Yes, if you need insurance today, you can buy immediate cover. You can make a payment by credit or debit card or if you choose to pay by Direct Debit, you can pay an initial deposit and then pay the remaining amount over monthly instalments.
How many drivers can I have on my policy?When you purchase single vehicle taxi insurance, you can insure up to 4 drivers on a ‘named drivers’ policy. Dependent on your insurer, you can cover any authorised driver, rather than all named drivers on your fleet.
What other policies do you offer?We know that you rely on your vehicle to make a living. In an unfortunate case of a breakdown, you will want to get back on the road as soon as possible. We offer breakdown cover in addition to your existing policy or as a new policy. Legal expenses cover is also available.