Bank Holiday Opening Hours

Motor Trade Road Risks, Courier Insurance, Commercial Vehicle:

Our best prices available over the phone

General Insurance FAQs

  1. Do I need public liability insurance?

    We recommend taking out public liability insurance, especially if you are a motor trader, taxi driver or courier. It protects you in the event of accidents and incidents involving the general public - and the claims for damages and legal costs that can follow.
  2. Can I get cover today?

    Yes, if you need insurance today, you can buy immediate cover. You can make a payment by credit or debit card or if you choose to pay by Direct Debit, you can pay an initial deposit and then pay the remaining amount over monthly instalments.
  3. What other policies do you offer?

    We know that you rely on your vehicle to make a living. In an unfortunate case of a breakdown, you will want to get back on the road as soon as possible. We offer breakdown cover in addition to your existing policy or as a new policy. Legal expenses cover is also available.
  4. How many drivers can I have on my policy?

    When you purchase single vehicle taxi insurance, you can insure up to 4 drivers on a ‘named drivers’ policy. Dependent on your insurer, you can cover any authorised driver, rather than all named drivers on your fleet.
  5. Who are ChoiceQuote and what kind of insurance do you offer?

    ChoiceQuote is a leading insurance broker, looking after the needs of motor traders, taxi drivers and couriers for over 25 years. We offer motor trade road risks and combined insurance, single vehicle taxi and courier insurance, and taxi and courier fleet insurance. We search a panel of insurers to find the best products we can and offer them to you at competitive prices
  6. Why do I need Taxi/Courier/Motor Trade insurance?

    Without the right type of insurance for the work you do, your vehicle(s) may not be adequately insured. Buying the right policy for your business is therefore crucial, to ensure you are covered in the event of an accident, and to stay on the right side of the law.
  7. How much does Taxi/Courier/Motor Trade insurance cost?

    Prices vary depending on your individual circumstances. The minimum prices for each type of policy are normally updated on our website, so please visit the correct section of the website to find the current price.
  8. How are my insurance premiums calculated?

    Insurance prices depend on a large number of factors. Each insurer has its own underwriting criteria to calculate prices. Typically, this will include the type of vehicle(s) you want to insure, your driving experience, any claims or convictions you have, no claims discount etc. To get an accurate price, you must provide honest information, or you risk invalidating your policy.
  9. I’m under 25, am I eligible for traders’, taxi or courier insurance?

    Depending on what you do, you could get cover under the age of 25 - but it's generally more expensive. Motor traders carrying out mechanical work can generally get insurance from age 21+. whereas you must be at least 23 years old to get a motor trade policy if you buy and sell vehicles. The minimum age for taxi policies is 23. For courier policies, it's 24.
  10. Can I pay for my policy monthly?

    Yes - we offer finance options across a range of motor trade, courier and taxi insurance products, subject to status. Ask us for repayment options and details when you get a quote.
  11. Can I use a courtesy car if my vehicle breaks down?

    This depends on the type of policy and the insurer. Motor trade policies will not provide courtesy cars as they are designed to cover vehicles in the trade, whereas this cover may be provided for single vehicle taxi policies, for example. Speak to us about the cover you require when requesting a quote.
  12. What if I’ve been refused cover elsewhere?

    Being refused insurance cover generally makes it difficult to get cover, or it makes it more expensive. We are a broker, so have access to wider markets than approaching an insurer directly. Please let us know the reason why your policy was refused, voided or cancelled so we can consider your individual circumstances.
  13. How soon will my insurance come into effect?

    Your insurance will come into effect on the start or renewal date on your quotation. This can be on the same day you receive a quote, but can never be back-dated.
  14. How do I cancel my insurance policy?

    You will need to speak to the relevant team to cancel your policy. Please visit the Existing Customers section of our website to find the correct number to call for your type of policy.
  15. What if I find a cheaper policy elsewhere?

    Quotations provided are valid up until the date your policy commences. If you find a genuine like-for-like quotation with another provider that is cheaper than your renewal quote - and you can provide evidence of this - please speak to us to see what we can do. We don't like to be beaten on price, so will search the market for the best deal we can find for you.
  16. How do I know I’ve got the best deal for my needs?

    Speak to our team of advisers! We will guide you through the right cover for your individual needs. Don't be fooled that buying the cheapest policy means it's the best policy - if you find yourself without cover, or unable to make a claim for the full amount following an accident, you will regret it!
  17. Am I covered against natural causes such as severe weather and flooding?

    For motor trade garages, it depends on the cover you have purchased. Refer to your policy wording for your specific covers relating to your risk.
  18. How long do I have before my quote expires?

    Quotes are valid up until the start date or renewal date you specify. We can normally provide quotes up to 28 days before your insurance is due for renewal.
  19. What if I need to change details or amend my quote?

    Simply let us know what needs to be changed, and we will factor this into your quote to provide an accurate new quotation for you.

Motor Trade Insurance FAQs

  1. Road risk vs combined motor trade insurance – what’s the difference?

    Road risks insurance is the minimum legal requirement for motor traders and is suited to smaller traders, mostly operating from home. This could protect you against losses arising from incidents on the public roads, such as collisions with other vehicles. Motor trade combined insurance protects you against road risks and includes cover for your business premises (rented or owned), damage to bodywork or theft of a vehicle, and theft of tools or money from your property.
  2. What’s the excess on motor trade insurance?

    The typical compulsory excess on a motor trade road risks policy is around £250. You can reduce your premium by paying a voluntary excess on motor trade insurance claims. Just make sure to calculate the best balance between upfront cost and voluntary excess, so you can cover any fees during a subsequent claim.
  3. Can I use motor trade insurance as a personal policy?

    Motor trade insurance cover is designed for people who work in the trade and need to drive customers' cars, e.g. for road testing or recovery purposes. It should not be used as a personal 'any car' insurance policy. If you need insurance to drive any car but you are not in the motor trade, we may still be able to find you the best cover.
  4. Can I add a named driver to my traders’ insurance policy?

    Yes, you can. However, the more named drivers you list on a motor trade insurance policy, the higher your premium will be. Try to restrict driving privileges to as few individuals as possible if you want to get the best value motor trade insurance. 
  5. What if I work part-time in the motor trade?

    Part-time motor traders still need appropriate insurance cover. We can help you to find the right motor trade policy, whether you're full-time, part-time, still in training, work from home or on a mobile basis.
  6. Can I transfer my no-claims discount?

    If you have a proven claim-free record on a previous motor trade insurance policy, you may qualify for a no-claims discount of up to 60%. You can either transfer your existing no-claims bonus or opt for a mirrored discount - even if your previous driving history was on an employer's motor trade policy and not in your name. And if you haven’t worked in the trade before, you can opt to transfer or mirror the no-claims discount from your private car/vehicle policy. Speak to us for details on how we can save you money. 
  7. Can I cover my home address with motor trade insurance?

    Road risks insurance cover is available for individuals who work from a home address. If your business is based at a residential property, call ChoiceQuote. We can help you to understand if this is likely to affect your policy and the premium you pay.

Taxi Insurance FAQs

  1. Can I insure my taxi for personal use?

    If you’re a registered taxi driver, you can still use your vehicle for personal use. Rules can differ depending on your local council, so make sure you check in advance.
  2. What types of vehicles will your taxi insurance cover?

    Our insurance covers a wide range of vehicles from saloons to executive cars.
  3. Do I need public hire taxi cover or private hire taxi cover?

    Private hire taxis are pre-booked and public hire taxis do not require a pre-booking.
  4. How many taxis are required for fleet insurance?

    If you have 3 or more taxis, then fleet insurance is the best cover for you. This will cover your company’s vehicles without taking out multiple policies. If you rent your taxi vehicles to your drivers, they can also be covered as part of the taxi fleet policy, but they must be 25 years or older.
  5. Is taxi insurance more expensive that personal car insurance?

    Taxi insurance can be more expensive than personal car insurance because of the risks of carrying passengers for hire and reward. However, personal car insurance will not cover your vehicle for work as a taxi driver, so you need the correct cover to operate as a licensed private hire or public hire driver.
  6. Am I covered to drive other vehicles with my taxi insurance?

    This depends on the type of policy you have. Single vehicle policies only cover the individual vehicle in question, whereas taxi fleet policies allow for multiple vehicles and drivers to be named. A single vehicle taxi policy will generally allow your taxi to be driven for social, domestic and pleasure purposes, as well as business use.
  7. Do I need additional driving qualifications to get taxi insurance?

    You don't need specific qualifications to drive a taxi, but you do need an appropriate public hire or private hire licence. The exception to this is in London, in which case you will need to pass 'The Knowledge' to obtain a public hire licence (to drive a black cab).
  8. Can other taxi drivers use my vehicle under taxi insurance?

    If you have a taxi fleet policy, you can name multiple drivers and vehicles and drive other vehicles in the fleet.
  9. Do you insure Uber drivers?

    Yes, Uber drivers can be insured under a private hire taxi insurance policy. Please go online and fill in your details to get a quote, or give us a call.
  10. Is PCO insurance different to regular taxi insurance?

    PCO insurance is simply another name for a private hire taxi insurance policy. It refers to the Public Carriage Office, who licence drivers in London.
  11. Can I use my personal no claims discount on taxi insurance?

    Some taxi policies will allow you to transfer your no claims discount from a private car policy, but not on a 'like-for-like' basis. Please speak to us for details of how this works.
  12. Are Black Cabs covered under standard taxi insurance?

    Yes - black cabs are normally covered by a public hire insurance policy, as they are generally hailed on the street for hire and reward as opposed to private hire cabs, which are pre-booked.
  13. Do you insure new taxi drivers with no experience?

    We can insure new taxi badge holders, with a minimum of one year's driving experience.
  14. Do I still need cover for personal vehicles even if I have taxi insurance?

    Yes, if you own vehicles that are not used for hire and reward, they will need a separate policy.
  15. How much excess will I pay if I have an accident in my taxi?

    This depends on both the compulsory and voluntary excess specified by your insurer. Speak to us about this when requesting a quote, or if you need to check your existing policy, please speak to our friendly taxi insurance team.

Courier Insurance FAQs

  1. What can I transport under goods in transit insurance?

    ChoiceQuote goods in transit insurance does not cover high-risk items, hazardous goods or furniture being transported as part of a house move. Get in touch for more information on specific items.
  2. Do I need courier insurance and goods in transit insurance?

    Goods in transit cover protects the items you are carrying between the point they are picked up and the point they are delivered. Without it, you will be liable for damage, loss or theft of goods you are transporting. That is why many businesses and local authorities insist on goods in transit cover for couriers they use. Conditions of carriage will typically make you liable for some or all of the cost of damage, loss or theft of goods. Goods in transit insurance can be arranged with limits of indemnity to suit your needs.Courier insurance protects you and your vehicle, with limited cover (if any) for cargo.
  3. Am I eligible for courier insurance?

    Yes, if you are between 25 and 75 years of age, hold a full driving licence and are a permanent UK resident. In some cases, we can provide cover for drivers with motoring convictions, claims and accidents, so it is always worth asking us for a courier insurance quote.
  4. I use my own car, can’t I just use my motor insurance instead of courier insurance?

    Courier insurance is still necessary if you use your personal car to deliver parcels. Your private car, motorbike or van insurance will not protect your work as a courier, even if the policy covers Class 1 Business use.
  5. What can I transport under courier insurance?

    At ChoiceQuote, we understand that couriers carry a wide range of items. Courier insurance covers vehicles carrying delivering parcels, packages, newspapers, or other goods to multiple drop-off locations. Hazardous materials can be covered as part of a fleet of courier vehicles. Get in touch for more information, or to discuss your courier requirements.
  6. Will the tools in my van be covered overnight?

    No - tools are not covered by a goods in transit policy. You would need to purchase separate cover for this. Please speak to us for details.
  7. Do I need a business insurance policy for my vehicle?

    Courier van insurance is required to protect your vehicle while you work as a courier. This, in effect, means it is a business insurance policy for your vehicle. Standard van or commercial van insurance won't normally cover you if you have an accident while working as a courier.
  8. Will I receive a discount for insuring multiple vehicles?

    If you have three or more courier vehicles to insure, you should consider a courier fleet policy. This normally makes it cheaper to cover each vehicle, and also means you can manage all your vehicles under one policy.