Bank Holiday Opening Hours

Motor Trade Road Risks, Courier Insurance, Commercial Vehicle:

Our best prices available over the phone

What Is Road Risk Insurance?

Road risk insurance covers you to drive vehicles you do not own, in order to carry out your business. You might be moving a vehicle you have bought from an auction house to your home, for example. In the event of an incident or accident, you will be covered.

Do you transport vehicles from one place to another as part of your motor trade services? Whether you’re buying, selling, repairing or simply transporting vehicles, you’ll need motor trade road risk insurance as a legal minimum requirement.

Getting the basics right in business can make all the difference. That’s why our team here at ChoiceQuote take great care in selecting some of the very best motor trade road risk insurance policies in the UK.

What are the available levels of road risk insurance?

As with many insurance policies, road risk insurance is available at different levels of cover. Our customer service experts will be able to advise you on choosing the best level of cover to suit your business, but here’s a quick overview of the options:

Third-party only

Only covers damage to a third party, meaning any property or individual damaged or injured, other than you and the vehicle you drive is covered.

Third party, theft and fire

Includes third party only cover, as well as the additional benefit of protecting the vehicle in your possession in case of a theft or fire.


Includes the benefits mentioned above, as well as cover for accidents and incidents for any customer vehicle in your care. You may also claim for personal injury.

Remember, motor trade road risk insurance does not cover everything. Below are the key exceptions to this type of cover.

  • Vehicles that you personally own and use (unless specified)
  • Vehicles necessary to run your business, such as a mobile van for repairs
  • Public or employers’ liability, which you may take on additionally, depending on the nature of your specific business

You may wish to consider taking out this highest level of cover to make sure that the vehicles you are buying, selling and/or repairing are covered, protecting your assets. Bear in mind, though, that you are only covered for the trade value of the vehicle insured.

Who needs road risks insurance?

Road risks insurance is designed for part-time or full-time motor traders who buy, sell or repair vehicles. All motor traders will need road risks cover to conduct their business, otherwise you will not be insured to drive vehicles in connection with your work. This type of insurance is best suited to motor traders who work from home, which is not normally classified as business premises.

You will need proof that you work in the motor trade industry – receipts for parts if you work in repairs, or for vehicle purchases and sales if you trade vehicles, are important in demonstrating this – in order to get road risks insurance.

It is important to bear in mind that if you operate out of business premises rather than trading at home, or if you employ other staff to work with you, you may wish to take out the greater level of insurance cover that traders combined insurance can offer you.  You can tailor traders combined insurance cover to suit your needs, including cover for your premises, employees or members of the public who visit your business.

How much does road risk insurance cost?

If you are looking for a cheap road risks insurance policy, cover starts from as a minimum from £6.66 a week for a third-party only insurance quote. However, bear in mind that the costs will vary greatly dependent on your driving experience, the area you trade from, your claims history etc., in much the same way as personal car insurance costs will vary. Comprehensive insurance could cost more, but could also be the best option for your business.

Unlike many brokers, ChoiceQuote has access to a range of different motor trade insurance companies – not just dealing with one insurer – which helps us to deliver the best insurance quote possible for you to not only get cheaper insurance, but also get the level of insurance cover that you need.

How can I get a quote for road risks motor trade insurance?

For a quick and efficient insurance quote from the motor trade insurance specialists, call ChoiceQuote today on 01625 885046 or fill in your details to get a quote.

Our team are on-hand to provide tailored quotes and professional advice that considers the unique features of your operations and services, offering you the right motor trade insurance policy to future-proof your success.

What our customers are saying...

Latest Motortrade News